Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pulled Pork Leftovers

Last week we smoked two pork butts and had some friends over for a swimming party.  I am always trying to think of different ways to use the leftover pulled pork - or any other meats that I cook.  I made BBQ spaghetti; see previous post, and sandwiches are always good, but I wanted to try something else today, so I made pulled pork quesadillas for lunch.  They were super easy, tasty, and the boys loved them.

What makes these something I can eat is that first, I can control how much meat I put on the quesadilla as well as the cheese.  The tortillas that I use are high fiber - whole grain tortillas, making them a good carb that won't raise my blood sugar, because the carbs are processed slowly.  Carbs that don't come from whole grains, or simple carbs, go through the system much more quickly and often cause blood sugar to go up.  The tortillas I used have 12 grams of fiber per tortilla - almost a half the fiber that is recommended for a day.

Pulled Pork Quesadillas


Pulled pork leftovers - or any meat that you might want to use
Chicken stock
Leftover rub
Cheese - I used sliced mozzarella and Colby Jack; it is what I had on hand
Tortillas
Olive oil

Heat up flat top or skillet with olive oil to medium high heat.  Meanwhile warm up pork in skillet, using chicken stock to moisten the meat. Add a little rub to enhance flavor of pork.

When pork and flat top are heated through, place a tortilla on the flat top.  Put cheese on tortilla, top with pork and another tortilla.  When tortilla is crisp on one side, and cheese is melted, flip over and heat on other side.  Remove from flat top, cut and serve - yummy!!!

There are many other additions that could be made to this recipe.  For quickness I used meat and cheese only.  It also made for an easy no fuss lunch for the boys, but I thought about adding tomatoes, peppers, onions, or anything else that would go with pork.  Just use your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment