Sunday, July 15, 2012

Peach and Blueberry Pinwheels

I bought peaches at Lakeside Orchard in Carlyle the other day - they were so sweet!  My oldest ate one before we even got home.  I decided to try and make a quick dessert with them today using ingredients that I had on hand.  This is what I came up with.

My healthy tip for this dessert is raw or turbinado sugar, which to me is much sweeter than refined sugar, allowing for less sugar to be added.  While I didn't add any sugar to my pinwheels, had my peaches been less sweet, I would have.  Turbinado sugar is made from sugar cane extract.  It looks more like brown sugar than refined white sugar, but the crystals are much larger.

Peach Blueberry Pinwheels

2 thawed puff pastry
3 peaches
1/2 pint fresh blueberries
1 scant tsp cinnamon
sugar - only if needed
vanilla scant tsp
1 egg
1 tbsp water

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll out dough to smooth out.  Cut peaches into small pieces - I left skin on.  Roughly chop blueberries.  In a bowl combine peaches and blueberries with cinnamon and vanilla.

Combine egg and water in a separate bowl.  Brush onto rolled out dough using a pastry brush.  Add mixture to dough and roll up like a jelly roll.  Cut into 1/2 inch sections, place on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until dough is browned.  Serve warm or at room temperature.


For next time, I thought lemon or fresh mint might be a nice addition.  My oldest really liked the pinwheels, and I think they turned out pretty well for making this recipe up on the fly using only what I had on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment