Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Buffalo Chicken in the Slow Cooker

About two years ago a friend and I got together and swapped recipes.  She gave me this recipe - Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken.  I tried it soon after I got the recipe, but my slow cooker was anything but, and my chicken was so dry; very close to sawdust.

I haven't tried it again until now.  I have a new slow cooker that actually cooks slowly, so this recipe turned out really well.  The chicken was tender and a bit spicy, but not so much that one couldn't enjoy dinner.

My youngest saw what I was cooking and said, "Hey are we making Buffalo Chicken Pizza?"  I hadn't thought about that, but......sounded like a great idea to me.  We had some Boboli crusts; only problem with those is their high carb count.  Next time I will use a different type of crust.  We put the pizza directly on the grill and cooked them for about 10 minutes.  They were totally awesome.

My husband said that it was the best Buffalo Chicken Pizza he has ever eaten.  The boys scarfed them up, and there isn't anything left of them.  I love when food that is prepared in our house is eaten by everyone, and everyone loves it.  Below is the recipe.  I didn't use the hoagie rolls today, nor did I use the extra sauce.

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken - from the kitchen of one my cooking buddies.

4 frozen, skinless chicken breast halves
1 17.5 oz bottle buffalo wing sauce, divided
1/2 (1 oz) package dry ranch dressing mix
2 tbsp butter
6 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise

1.  Place frozen chicken into slow cooker and pour 3/4 bottle of the wing sauce and the ranch dressing mix.  Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours.

2.  Once the chicken has cooked, add the butter and shred the chicken finely with two forks.  Pile the meat onto the hoagie rolls and splash with the remaining wing sauce to serve.

I made one change to the recipe.  After I shredded the chicken, I put it back into the cooker with the sauce.

Either way, it is a great use of chicken.  For me and the way I eat, it was a winner.  The chicken and sauce is very low in carbs, and I can totally control how I serve it to make sure that I don't overdue the sugar.  For those watching salt, the buffalo sauce is somewhat high in sodium.


Buffalo Chicken Pizza

Buffalo chicken - see recipe above
Boboli pizza crust or crust of your choice
Cheese - I used cheddar
Chives

Place cheese on pizza crust.  On top of cheese, put some of the buffalo chicken.  If there isn't much sauce on the chicken, drizzle a little extra sauce over the chicken and cheese.  Top with cheese and chives.  Place on grill.  We had our grill low to medium for heat, about 400 or a little over.  Cook pizza for 10-12 minutes.  Remove from grill and enjoy!!  Don't forge the napkins!!

For another idea, I thought that a buffalo chicken salad might be tasty too......might have to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment