Friday, June 22, 2012

Smoked Chicken Drumsticks

So yesterday, I smoked chicken legs, and they were great!!!  They were well flavored - I used the rub from my previous post, and added some homemade BBQ sauce.  They were spicy, tender, smoky, and just plain wonderful.  I love smoking; it is a lot of fun, and the end product is so worth it!!!!  All receipts come from Ray Lampe's cookbook.

12 chicken drumsticks
Big Time BBQ rub
Big Time BBQ sauce - see recipe below

Prepare the cooker for indirect cooking at 275 degrees F, using cherry wood for flavor - I didn't have cherry wood; I used apple.

A half hour before cooking, peel the skin back on the drumsticks and season lightly underneath with the rub.  Pull the skin bak up and season liberally all over.  Leave the drumsticks out at room temperature.  Put them in the cooker after 30 minutes, being sure to pull the skin up and lay them down neatly.  Cook to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F - this should take about 2 hours.  Glaze with the BBQ sauce and cook for another 15 minutes.

Remove from the cooker and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.


Big Time BBQ Sauce

1 1/4 cup commercial chili sauce
3 cups ketchup
1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup honey
1 cup brown sugar

Combine all the ingredients except the honey and brown sugar in a saucepan and very slowly bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and add in the last two ingredients.  MIx well and mix occasionally as it cools. Store in a covered glass or plastic container in the refrigerator for up to one month.



If you want to smoke and are hesitant about it, Lampe's cookbooks are great.  They are detailed, yet to the point.  I have had much success using his recipes.  As I get better at smoking, I can start to develop my own rubs and sauces using flavors that my family likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment