Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sometimes it Works!!!!!

Yesterday we smoked a pork butt - for the first time, it turned out really good.  I followed the recipe from Ray Lampe's cookbook.  I am excited to try again.  Whatever recipe you use, it has been recommended that notes be taken during the smoking process.  While I followed the recipe, I also took notes on the temperature that day, how much wood I used, what time I checked the temperature of the meat, and how it turned out.

With my smoked pork, I made BBQ pasta.  The first time I had ever tried BBQ spaghetti, I was in Memphis with my husband.  I fell in love with it and recreated it at home.  What I made at home though, was very fattening.  This time I tried to be more health conscience.  It turned out very well, and the whole family really liked it.  Instead of BBQ sauce, which has quite a few carbs, I used beef broth as my base.  I ended up with a very light and flavorful pasta dish that really showed off the flavors of the pork.  I used a penne pasta as that was what I had on hand, but I think spaghetti would have been a better choice.

BBQ Pasta

1 lb. whole grain pasta - your choice
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp rub from pulled pork
1 quart beef stock
Pulled pork - your choice on how much
Splash half and half
Grated cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Saute garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.  Add tomato paste and combine.  Add beef stock and bring to a boil.  When stock is boiling add pork and rub and lower temperature to a simmer.  Once meat is heated through, add splash of half and half and combine.  Add cooked pasta and serve immediately with grated cheese on top.

The only change I would make for next time is too add some flour to the oil, paste and garlic.  This would make the sauce a bit thicker.  The whole grain pasta is now a staple in our house - the kids don't even notice a difference.

Till next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment